Looking for a new Hyperion Adminstrator? As with any hire, it can be extremely difficult to find a person who is both qualified (technically) and a good fit within your organization. Many finance organizations don’t have the time or resources to get their new Hyperion Administrator ramped up and trained so you may need to hire someone to jump in and get started.
We recommend that prior to beginning your search, take the time to understand what apps, tools, and processes you need managed. Having this detail will help you find the perfect candidate.
Based on our many years of Staffing, we’ll outline just a few of the skills that we think you, or your recruiter(s), should look for in the perfect candidate.
The Oracle Hyperion suite of business solutions covers almost every area of finance operations, including financial management, consolidation and reporting, budgeting and planning, business intelligence, and enterprise performance management (EPM). Each solution — such as Essbase, Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) and Hyperion Planning — require specific skill sets that can only be acquired through certified training and on-the-job experience. A superior Hyperion Administrator is Oracle certified and can support your functional and operational needs.
If you are looking to fill a Planning admin role, make sure to find someone who has a broad understanding of forecasting, planning and workflows during budget cycles. If you are looking for someone for an HFM admin role, the best candidate will be a CPA or someone with in-depth accounting experience. In many cases, all admins will interact with members across the business, such as Operations, IT and senior management, and should be able to provide strategic, analytical and technical support during critical planning and consolidation cycles. Good communication skills is a must!
Technical Hyperion Skills
When it comes to maintaining complex tools such as Hyperion, the ideal administrator will need a variety of strong technical skills. However, depending on your apps, tools and processes assessment, there may be some infrastructure tasks you will want to look for. General infrastructure experience may include backup and recovery, performance tuning, system monitoring, assessing and installing patches, disaster recover planning, and providing end-user training and support.
The best candidates don’t always come knocking at your door; you have to go find them. Strafford is constantly building relationships with the talented people in our industry, so if you have a specific hiring need, we’re ready to respond.
From a technical perspective here are some requirements we believe are important:
- 2-3 years minimum experience with Hyperion Planning (Oracle PBCS), HFM (Oracle FCCS) and/or Essbase (preferably certified)
- Familiarity with [your] data loading and integration tools
- Ability to create and update existing calc scripts, business rules, web forms, and reports
- Ability to create and maintain Essbase cubes (if you have Essbase)
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Excel
- Experience in creating and maintaining workflows (for Hyperion Planning and HFM)
- A deep understanding of Hyperion Reporting products
- Ability to manage user security roles and access
- Ability to perform monthly metadata maintenance
- Experience with Chart of Accounts (COA) setup and supporting the integration of acquisitions (both the company’s and the inherited systems)
Again, technical and functional skills should be based on the individual needs of your business and finance organization.
Being a Hyperion Administrator requires technical skills, but we feel a truly good admin will know the language of finance and accounting as well as IT. Just being familiar with your business processes is not enough — they should be able to help optimize them as well as providing data-driven strategic insights to FP&A.
Some of the functional skills and Hyperion requirements we recommend you look for include:
- A 4-year degree in Finance or MIS
- Experience in setting up, opening, and closing business processes with your Hyperion tool(s)
- Understanding of corporate business processes, including fundamental Finance concepts as well as forecasting and budgeting cycles, and corporate reporting requirements
- Ability to help the corporate FP&A team manage and complete budgeting and forecasting cycles
- Experience in creating and maintaining financial reports
- Ability to perform ad hoc and routine financial close tasks
- Experience in ensuring data accuracy and integrity
- Excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Ability to provide documentation, training and support to end users
- Understanding of best practices for business processes and technology
- Advanced analytical, diagnostic and technical skills
- Understanding of business intelligence concepts
Let’s face it, experience is important but don’t forget that every candidate needs to be a good fit within your organization. Whether your Hyperion administrator will be working remotely or inside a regional or corporate office, they need to be able to handle a heavy workload and effectively communicate with people with varying roles and responsibilities.
Here are some of the personal traits we think are important to look for:
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and to prioritize tasks accordingly
- An active member (monitoring or participating in) in user communities and Hyperion forums
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Positive, ambitious attitude with a thirst for knowledge
- Excellent documentation skills are required
- Ability to work successfully from the home office (if applicable)
- A work ethic which provides consistent hours of work aligned to your hours of operation
- A desire to automate and constantly improve performance and team efficiencies
Finding and on-boarding new employees is always a time consuming and possibly worrisome task but we hope that some of these tips will help you find the perfect candidate.
Interested in learning more? Talk to one of our staffing specialist. Strafford and our team of consultants have the product, technical, functional and personal skills you need to find the right people to implement and manage your EPM environment.